The Lab will close for the annual winter break from Thursday, Dec. 24, 2020 through Friday, Jan. 1, 2021.
During the closure, Operations teams will be working according to a modified schedule. Keep the following in mind as you prepare for a safe departure and return from the break.
Shuttle Services – Shuttle service will end Wednesday, Dec. 23 at 8:00 p.m. Service will resume on Monday, Jan. 4 at 5:30 a.m.
Cafeteria – The cafeteria is closed and will reopen in January, date TBD.
Badge Office – By appointment only
Health Services – Closing Wednesday, Dec. 23 at the end of the day and re-opening on Monday, Jan. 4 at 7:30 a.m.
- Blackberry Gate will be the only gate for entering the Lab. You can exit via Blackberry or Grizzly Gates.
- To enter the site, you must badge in at Blackberry Gate.
- Use your badge to access your building.
- If you have any site or building access problems, contact the Lab’s Site Operations Center on x 6999 or 1-510-486-6999.
Shipping and Receiving – On Dec. 23, Receiving will close at 12:00 p.m., and Shipping and Mail Services will close at 12:30 p.m.
- There will be one person on site to receive packages on Tuesday, Dec 29 and Wednesday, Dec 30; however, there will be no shipping or mail services.
- Shipping and Receiving will re-open for normal service on Monday, Jan. 4, 2021.
Facilities – Teams will be completing scheduled preventive maintenance during the winter break. This may affect the positive or negative pressure in some rooms, which can in turn open fume hoods or make doors harder to open and close. Please properly protect all your research materials in fume hoods prior to departure.
- HVAC and lighting systems will be on off-hour settings to conserve energy.
- Normal operating temperatures will be maintained for all cold rooms, server rooms, and computer rooms.
- Building rounds will be performed three times per day in general areas.
- Additional building rounds must be scheduled through the assigned building Facility Area Manager.
Before you leave, please do the following:
- Ensure that door signage is accurate, including contact information in case of emergency or equipment failure.
- Power off computers, monitors, peripherals, power strips, and any non-essential equipment.
- Secure theft-attractive items: laptops, cameras, iPhones, iPads, etc.
- Shut fume hood sashes.
- Empty personal waste bins and sort trash at a central waste station.
- Shut off nonessential lights and equipment.
- Unplug personal space heaters, fans, and coffee pots.
- Empty perishables out of break room refrigerators.
- Wash and put away dishes and wipe off kitchen surfaces.
- Disinfect your work station and furniture.
- Water your plants.
- Turn off the lights.
- Close windows and doors.
Have a wonderful, safe, and enjoyable winter break and new year.
Deputy Chief Operating Officer